Years ago- before responsibilities set in ( kids, husband, house etc), my life was defined by my social life. I was a nurse- but I do not seem to remember work so much. I DO remember getting off work at 11 pm and running down town for such things at St Patrick's Day- abd I do remember friends.
One summer- I was away working for the summer and took a weekend off- rented a car and rushed back to Halifax to spend the weekend barbqueing, drinking wine and of course heading off for a night of fun. I was staying at my friend Carla's- and our friend Denise was there too- it was the perfect weekend.
I remember going to the Mic Mac Mall- and finding a pair of Cowboy boots. They were all the rage back then. Denise convinced me to get the boots, and Carla complained all the way back that she had great boot envy.
Back at her place- we cooked supper, drank wine- then as usual ate bread ( with cream cheese for Carla and Denise- butter for me) then headed for downtown- where we had a great time.
Denise and I wore our boots- Carla had boot envy.
The next morning we went to the greasiest diner you have ever seen- with dirt galore on the ceiling- but they have the best big breakfast you have ever had in your life....
That perfect weekend years ago is not defined by the boots per say- but by the friendship and company.
Why am I thinking of this weekend 15 years later? I was cleaning out my closet tonight and found the boots.
Though I love my life- and would not make any changes- I miss those days. I miss the easy friendship, the wine - and my early 20's.
I wonder if Carla ever got her boots - I know mine are well worn- I think I am going to take them to be re-soled tomorrow - they are back "in style now".
You know- I still have a tendancy to buy the cheap wine we drank- Ernest & Julio White Zinfandel- by most standards not a great wine- by mine a wonderful foray back to the time where not having to get up the next morning meant a night of three friends who always had a great time together.
In my "wine cupboard" right now is a varierty of wines- but for tonight I drink the old favorite- in memory of Carla & Denise and all the great times we had- with saddness that Carla is no longer here to go down memory lane with us.
By the way- I have only had one glass of wine- this blog was inspired by the boots- not the wine!!!
Carla- I miss you- Denise I hope that there are nights where you sit back , drink wine and remember....
Boot envy - Cyndi I had forgotten and you took me way way back. Dying for some pink wine and bread with cream cheese now. And O'carrolls, and cheesecake, and the Ardmore breakfast, and....I could go on. Too bad we didn't get a picture that night. My boots are long gone having not withstood three pregnancies (my feet grew). Glad I have such great times to look back on - fun days!
ReplyDeleteThose days seem so far away at times but then yesterday others....
ReplyDeleteSomewhere I also have a picture of you and I and the "BUOYS" from our road trip.....
I should look for it....